Sunday, June 22, 2014

Why a Tiny House?

A Tiny House.

Recently, I have came to the conclusion  that I would like to construct and reside in in a Tiny House. Now to some, this has come as a shocker. Nevertheless, I have received feedback from both sides of the spectrum. Some people have supported my idea  and went as far as to donate money to the cause on my gofundme site. Others have ridiculed me and said the idea was "stupid" or "crazy". However, to these people and others I feel like I owe an explanation to for my reasoning behind wanting a Tiny House.


So Why a Tiny House?

I have grown up in middle class America. I was a child of the recession. Through this, I watched numerous families break up and in turn lose their homes to the banks because of lack of payment. Before my parents divorce, I remember every single fight starting about money. Money seemed to rule the world around me even as a child. I remember my mother struggling and working several jobs at a time to try to keep our heads above water and pay the mortgage. But even with that amount of pressure we lost. With insane interest rates and less than average income we soon lost our home. The house that my parents had worked so long and hard for was gone. Just like that. Foreclosed. Years of building, planning, and paying for nothing. At first, I felt anger towards my parents for not being able to manage their money correctly. Then one day, I took another look. In today's society, material possessions are the height of ones life. We WORK to LIVE and LIVE to WORK to just obtain simple things that make us no more happy than we were before we acquired them 40% above cost.


What Changed ME?


However, it didn't really hit me until my most recent move how messed up my perception of the sense of "home" and "happiness" was. I had gotten out of a lease and had to move my stuff as quickly as possible. I was required to move so much STUFF out of my 990ft town home in a short amount of time. The amount of effort to do this was unbelievable. However, through the carrying of box after box into a storage unit really put things in perspective for me. 90% of this stuff that I was carrying, I hadn't even touched in years. Other than a few simple items like a laptop, clothing, and the basic necessities, the other objects had not been showed attention from myself or children, with its only company being dust. Now, I have always been environmentally conscious, but this epiphany caused a sort of movement in my soul. My carbon footprint at twenty-two years of age was huge along with my debt ratio. You see, I was told if I acquired all these objects, I would be content with life. I NEEDED these things to live the American dream. I worked countless hours at numerous jobs and had taken out loans just to "provide" for my children with these things. I was stuck in a materialistic mindset that in order to be a "good parent" my children must have the latest toys, clothes, and other items. But that isn't it at all. The majority of time I did have off of work, I spent cleaning or on the phone with bill collectors trying to figure out what "payment plan" would best fit me for my acquired debt. But then it clicked. To be a GOOD PARENT I need to spend quality time with my children building a relationship rather than filling it with preconceived ideas that the media has placed into my head since birth. There is no real life Malibu Barbie Dream home that I could buy that would make up for the time I was spending mentally and physically away from my loved ones. So then, I woke up. I decided to try the Tiny life. Living simply and humbly with the ones I care the most about. Defining home as a certain type of energy that is emitted when you are in a place surrounded by LOVE rather than possessions. Consuming less and doing my part to make this planet healthy again. The majority of air pollution is emitted in the development. I would no longer be a part of that cycle. TO SEE THE CHANGE, you must first BE THE CHANGE. So this is why I am pursuing my Tiny House project. To create a healthy living situation for myself, children, and the environment.

How you could help?

Living Tiny might not be for everyone, but I believe it is meant for me. Between college, working, and being a single parent my funds are already stretched to the max, this is why I am asking for Donations to help fund my project. I obviously realize that not everyone has the extra money to help a cause like mine and that's okay! Kind words and advice are also very much appreciated! Light and Love my friends.<3


http://www.gofundme.com/ai2ua0 - Donate :)
https://www.facebook.com/TiasTinyHouse?ref=hl - LIKE MY PROJECT PAGE
https://twitter.com/gilbert_tia  - FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER


"When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money"










No comments:

Post a Comment